Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Luxury of Mother Culture



I’m immersing myself in “Mother Culture”* – a luxury I’m able to give myself now that the children are older. When they were younger, I was only able to devote a few hours a month to it, if that…

As we journeyed together through the children’s grammar and logic stages, my education and interests followed right along with the children.

My education was at the grammar stage.

No matter how old you are that’s where learning starts…

But now, as old as I am, education is taking on new meaning. No longer learning to please others, or to teach others, I find a new freedom in setting my own courses, my own hours.
Building on what I’ve spent the last 12 years teaching…
  
…Greek, Latin, Theology…

…dabbling in some modern languages…
 
…memorizing poems and scripture…
 
…and reading, reading, reading…
 
This is a wonderful way to spend a few hours a day…pure luxury.


*”Mother Culture” is a term familiar to Charlotte Mason enthusiasts – a term coined and popularized by Karen Andreola. You can find her definition of it here: 

No comments: